Sunday, September 21, 2008

Not Facebook Friends... wk 3

It should have been a red flag to me that our personal life was in jeopardy once Facebook opened it's membership to non-college affiliated people. I know that social media sites are attractive to companies and school officials because of the amount of personal information one can gain by just simply perusing through pages of information.

Much to my dismay, I logged into Facebook early Thursday morning to find a surprise friend request from none other than the Career Services Department here on campus. And just why is the office of Career Services befriending students on Facebook?

According to an article on Wikipedia, many school officials are using the social media sites to investigate academic misconduct on campuses. While I know that things posted on the internet are essentially public and viewable by anyone, I'm confused as to why it has become such a hot tool for them to use against us. Wasn't there a time where personal life was personal life and professional life was something separate? I seem to think that what I like to do in my personal time that does not reflect on how I perform in school should not be questioned. I'll be 22 in less than a month, and I'm sure I'm grown up enough to be able to use social networking sites without training wheels or babysitters from school, especially when I have no idea what they're even using the site for in the first place.

Needless to say, that friend invitation from Career Services is still sitting there waiting to eventually be denied...

1 comments:

Evan E. Roberts said...

Good point Casey!! I think Career services made a profile to show students what to and not to put on their facebook. This is one of the new ideas posed by the head of career services, Quill P. But I denied it too lol