Monday, October 6, 2008

Blogging/Twittering a College Class?.... wk 5

Surfing around for something PR/Social Media related for this week brought some rather ho-hum results for me. I decided to google "blogging classes" and see what I could come up with, and before I read too far down the page I came across an article on Techdirt that sparked my interest.

According the the article, a professor at NYU has actually asked that her students no longer blog, twitter, or text about her class to others. Now while it's her word against theirs as to the conditions surrounding the case, it seems to me that she's already made a serious blunder in the world of teaching.

Especially while teaching a course called "Reporting Generation Y," I would think that any professor would almost expect to be talked about outside the realm of the classroom. After all, this professor is supposed to know the ins and outs of the subject matter, which undoubtedly includes the members of her class. To me, any time a student blogs or twitters something about the class should be taken as a compliment. If I'm bored to tears with a class, I'll rarely talk about it on my own time.

Just as the article points out, I agree that this ban of social media is somewhat of a generational struggle. I'm pretty sure that social media is here to stay, and I'm I'm probably not the only one who would appreciate it if the older generations would just be more accepting.

1 comments:

Dr. Alisa Agozzino said...

Good one...Are you going to start blogging about me and our class? Ha. Hope you find my teaching style better than this prof's.