Sunday, September 14, 2008

Social media leads me to PR

SOCIAL MEDIA FACT: The metrics enthusiasts at Jupiter Research claim that 57% of bloggers have a household income of under US$60,000 per year, a figure that is presumably consistent with concentration of blogging under college students. (for those of you who don't understand, that means OUR generation)

Social media in public relations is something I guess I never pictured going together. This, of course, was probably back when I was still a third year nursing major who felt out of place in the world of science brainiacs and uptight organizers. When I finally grew a pair (no that's probably not PC language, but my mom could definitely read that) and left my routine for a new major, I was sure in for a surprise! This is right in my element, because you see, I've been playing a role in the social media boom for years and I never even knew it!

I've been a member of the blog site Xanga for years. I haven't written in a while, but I used to write religiously. (insert lots of laughing at my apparent nerdiness...) I think it was back in middle school when the site became really popular and just about everyone I knew was writing in one. I'm also a member of the YouTube community. (as if Xanga wasn't embarrassing enough, now I'll have people I know searching for me on YouTube...) I post all kinds of videos on that site, some impromptu things I capture in day-to-day life and some are planned vlogs where I just talk about random stuff.

It feels really weird to say that I'm part of a statistic. I guess there really is a method behind all the madness though, because like I said, a social media nut like myself ended up a PR student!

2 comments:

JamienneNoell said...

I too was a Xanga enthusiast back in the day. I wouldn't have considered that as blogging until you mentioned it in this post. It most definitely fits into the basic concept of a blog. I never had anything interesting to say of course. I'm sure people were enthralled to read my entries. They were probably checking my site at least twice a day to read my newest posts explaining my days in excruciating detail. Honestly though, we were at the head of the social media movement and didn't even know it. How crazy is that?!

Amber's blog said...

So after reading about Xanga and the fact that both you and Jamie were a part of that wonderful little niche, I'm thrilled I wasn't the only loser. In fact, I went to Xanga today to see if my account was still active and sure enough my latest post from probably 2004 is still up!! Crazy enough, I agree with Jamie; at the time we didn't realize that we were creating a blog. I just assumed it was my little diary, a much faster way to get my thoughts out there. However, we really were ahead of the game. At the tender age of 16 and 17 I was a "blogger." I can't wait to see who else will fess-up to this fade started years ago.