Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Influencers wk9

Every week I dread doing my reading comprehension posts because I never feel like I have anything new to say. This week is no different, and after reading chapter seven in the New Influencers book I'm even more confused as to what I believe.

As probably only Aggy will know, my PR post this week was how social media tools shouldn't be used by everyone. I had that in the back of my mind as I was reading for this week and it kept nagging at me how Gillin kept raving on it.

With quotes like "Social media is PR's turn to shine," and "No profession stands to influence social media more than public relations," I'd have to say that Gillin makes social media seem like the end-all-be-all of where PR is headed. While I definitely understand the advantages it holds for PR, I'm not certain that it is the ONLY thing we need to study and have going for us.

PR professionals still need to be creative and intuitive. We still need to be good writers and organizers with impeccable people skills. Those are things social media tools can't replace, and I think the author of New Influencers tends to get wrapped up in that too much.

Now there's something to Twitter about.

1 comments:

Paul Gillin said...

Sorry if I appeared to proselytize too much. What I meant to say is that the people skills that PR people need to develop in order to succeed in their profession make them the perfect people to lead social media initiatives. It's not a matter of social media replacing conventional PR as much as it is an issue of social media evolving to embrace new skills. PR isn't going away anytime soon. It's just evolving!