Monday, November 3, 2008

Twitteriocy... wk9

I knew someone would do it. Someone finally laid out the ground rules when it comes to PR firms using Twitter!

I came across a blog written by Jeremy Pepper entitled "Twitteriocy," which is supposedly the blending of Twitter and Idiot. The article is all about how NOT to be an idiot on Twitter. I found it highly amusing.

One thing that struck me is he said that Twitter, and even all of social media, is not for everyone (or every PR firm). In our class we seem to emphasize the fact that we'd better get used to social media as it is here to stay, but I definitely see his point. For me, I relate it to the 40-something year old mother of three who heads out to the mall wearing skinny jeans and a boobalicious low cut top. While skinny jeans are a hip fashion trend, I'm sure most mothers of three would agree they just don't fit like they should. And as for the sexy tops, well, let's face it; the girls just don't sit where they used to anymore...

This long and drawn out analogy hopefully proves my point! PR firms using Twitter just to be using Twitter, without any plan of action or knowledge or "the right body" should just stop. It only reflects badly on your skills. Leave Twitter for those who are more appropriately savvy.

2 comments:

j-vaidya said...

I think you make a great point. Many PR practitioners are quick to say that everyone can benefit from social media.

Although this may be true, the appropriateness of various social mediums like Twitter varies between industries.

For example, a funeral home may not want to be twittering about a sensitive subject like the death of someones family member.

Maybe not the best example, but sufficient to illustrate the point that jumping headlong into social media without a game plan is probably not the best way to reach your goals.

Anonymous said...

I also feel you make a great point. In my most recent blog I also comment on how PR practitioners can benefit from social media. But in contrast I feel that industries can use mediums like twitter and the new mainstream outlets to benefit from what they choose to twitter about. All corporations should research before jumping in, but there is always a benefit if done correctly.