Monday, November 10, 2008

Social Media predictions of 2006... wk10

While searching for something to write about in PR/social media world this week, I came across an article written almost 2 years ago on the Communications Overtones blog maintained by Kami Huyse and Lauren Vargas. The title explained it all, and the blog outlined the 5 major trends of social media in 2006 that the writers felt would impact PR in 2007 and beyond. As a person from the "future," so to speak, I thought it would be interesting to review their predictions.

Firstly, I totally agree with the first trend on viral videos. I can only imagine how surprised the authors were when viral video avenues like YouTube not only met but exceeded their expectations as far as viral videos and social media.

I also agree that the misuse of social media has impacted PR in part, but it's also affected MANY people, not just those in public relations. It doesn't matter what the technology is, there will always be someone who abuses it. Another point was made about the 3D Internet movement. I'm not sure that I understand this concept fully, so I will have to say that I don't believe it caught on as much as predicted (or I could be completely wrong).

The new social media press release part made me smile really big! This could be because we worked on one in class, but at the same time it reassured me that this social media class has been worth it as far as teaching me skills I'll definitely use in the future. *Thanks Aggy!*

The only part of the blog I fully disagreed with was the fact that the authors felt that PR companies were getting shut out of social media sites and their services turned away. While that may have been a trend in the beginning, I'd say that now the companies are embracing any and all forms of PR in their social media world. Just look at how many companies have blogs maintained by their PR staff on their Web sites as one example.

Reading this blog made me wonder what PR practitioners are saying about current trends and what their predictions for the future may be. I guess we'll know in two years when we go back and read it (and probably laugh at how primitive we were, haha!)

0 comments: