Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Viva Maria owns my life!

I know that by waiting until the last few days of the week to do the required blogs makes me look like much of a procrastinator (no complaints in that department), it also makes me look like I don't care much about writing them... which I'll say is untrue.

The truth is, my new job has completely consumed every ounce of free time I once had spending bored/putting off homework! I started working at Viva Maria last week (Wednesday) on their first day of business in town. Before anyone asks, the place is an Italian restaurant, authentic food... pizza, calzones, stromboli, pasta... you know the drill. So far in the 6 days we've been open, I've had a whole day off. I can honestly say I never even did this much running around waiting on customers when I worked at McDonalds back as a sophomore in high school (why do I keep feeling like sharing my embarrassing life details on this thing?).

But is it worth it?

I'd like to think so. The big boss man, Dom, is 100% Sicilian. English is his second language, and he often stalks around the place barking in a heavily accented voice. He IS the pizza master, though. I've never seen anyone be as passionate about cooking as he is. I never quite know where I stand with him, because he's pretty hard to read. I mean, he can walk up to me and say, "Casey, wha'you mean dey don' wan' no onions on da cheese steak?!" in the gruffest voice ever, but then smile at me in 15 minutes for no apparent reason.

Today he was wearing some really crazy pants, though. They were like sweatpants with all kinds of little Italian pictures and whatnot all over them. I was half scared to even say anything about them, but I told him I liked them anyway. He looked right at me and said flatly, "Oh yea? Well you can't have'em." Uhh... to say the least, I would've been content with a thank you, or even maybe a nod of acknowledgement?!?

It wasn't until I completely walked out of the kitchen that I heard him laughing. What a turd. He gets so much pleasure out of intimidating me to death!! I have a feeling I'll be sharing more Dom stories in this blog throughout the quarter...

0 comments: